Monday, November 29, 2010

Red Beans & Rice

Since we've spent almost 16 hours combined in the car in about a week, I used the time to purge my magazines.  I had a large stack to flip through, so I tore out recipes that looked good and put them all in a binder once we got home.  If I get around to cooking the recipe and it flops, I'll toss it.  If not, then I guess it's a keeper.

The first recipe I tried ended up being a keeper.  I'd post the Weight Watchers points value, but they changed their whole system.  I'm not sure if I like it...but I will have to give it a try.  I mean, I paid for 3 months when I started.  :-)

Slower Cooker Red Beans & Rice adapted from Southern Living
  • 1 lb dried red beans
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 3/4 lb smoked turkey sausage, sliced thin
  • 1 sweet onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 celery ribs
  • 1 T creole seasoning
  • 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
Chop the peppers, onion & celery.  Add all ingredients to a slow cooker with 7 cups of water.  Cook on high for 7 hours, or until the beans are tender.  Serve over cooked rice.

Updated 3/2/11 - I did the WW PointsPlus calcuation for this and if you get 8 servings (should be easy - it made quite a bit) then you're looking at 6 PP for the red beans plus whatever rice you add.  1 cup cooked brown rice is 5 PP, but 1/2 a cup (3 PP) is more than enough for a serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment