Monday, October 11, 2010

What diet?

This weekend my cousin and his wife came to visit.  It was a last minute thing, but we haven't seen them in a while and we were looking for a chance to open some of our California wine.  Jason and I are going back in two weeks (yay!!) and we need to make room in the wine fridge for the wine we plan on bringing back.

We grilled some steaks and I wanted some sort of potatoes as a side.  I usually have the hardest time keeping mashed potatoes warm after we cook and mash them, so I decided to try these au gratin potatoes again. 

Lesson learned: some recipes are not meant to be made healthy. 

Last time I made these I used Half & Half and 2% shredded cheddar cheese.  Don't do that.  They were ok...but after making them Sunday, it's just not worth it.  Save the recipe for a day when you want something rich and creamy and so not good for you.

Potato Gratin Cups adapted from So Tasty So Yummy
  • potatoes
  • gruyere cheese, shredded
  • heavy cream
  • salt & pepper
Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.  Preheat the oven to 350.  Slice potatoes 1/8" thin and cut to fit in muffin tin.  Layer potatoes in muffin tin, filling it about 1/3 of the way.  Top with a thin layer of shredded cheese, salt & pepper.  Repeat until full and pour 1 T of heavy cream over the top of each muffin cup.  They bake down so if the filling seems too tall, don't worry.  Bake 25 min, until it starts to brown on top.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I've made these, they seem so greasy. Is it because I use cheddar?

    ReplyDelete